Saturday, December 11, 2010

Women Who Run with the Wolves

There are many, many, many books that I love, but this is one of my favorites.
Women Who Run with the Wolves by Dr Clarissa Pinkola Estes.
My copy, bought years ago, is so dog-eared, stained and wrinkled, it lives on my bedside table and has been read and re-read so many times. Each time I feel I am re-connecting with something very old and true. It is not a self help book, it is a rich tome that connects us with poetry, story, spirit, the underworld, and the deep inner life. You could call it a medicine book for women and men. 


Estés described her method of healing to writer Isabella Wylde. "I come from the Curanderisma healing tradition from Mexico and Central America. In this tradition a story is 'holy,' and it is used as medicine. The story is not told to lift you up, to make you feel better, or to entertain you, although all those things, of course, can be true. The story is meant to take the spirit into a descent to find something that is lost or missing and to bring it back to consciousness again. For some people that may sound mystical . . . and it is!"
To read the full interview with Dr. Estes by Isabella Wylde click here.




No comments:

Post a Comment